Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Exergen Temporal Scanner Thermometer

I was amazed when Smartypants (or was it DH, Pikachu or I) was in the hospital this summer and they took his (my?) temperature with this high-tech doodad that simply scanned his (my?) forehead. The thermometer didn't require an open mouth, poking around ears or other orifices. It was like something out of StarTrek (well, maybe the 1960's version).

Simple, painless and efficient. What more does a mom want?

So when Exergen offered to send me the same type of artery scanning thermometer for free, I jumped at it.

It arrived the other day. Yes, just in time for my boys' coughs, runny noses and flushed cheeks. My boys can't line up fast enough for me to take their temperatures with this. We all love it.
You simply run it over the person's forehead and bam! In about two seconds (or less) you've got an accurate reading.

Seriously, this is bringing out our inner hypochondriacs because every time I turn around, some little person is asking me to take his temp. It's that easy and fun.

I'm sure the novelty will wear off at some point, but the convenience is here to stay.
At the risk of sounding like an infomercial, I didn't know what this cost. In my mind I was thinking it would be $50-$70, but it's available many places for under $30. Such a deal!

And you can win one here for $0!
RULES
To enter, leave a comment below letting me know how you comfort your little ones when they are sick. Entries from US residents will be accepted through noon on 12/28. Blog or Tweet this post for an extra entry each (come back and comment to let me know you did so). You can also gain an extra entry by subscribing to my main blog, but come back and let me know in the comments.

Sick Much? I'm also giving away a handy medical info organizer over at Momformation.

22 comments:

Jen said...

Ooh! I need this. My thermometer is such a piece and at 3 years old my boys are definitely not down with the rectal-style!

I comfort them in different ways depending on what is wrong. For late-night vomiting episodes/stomach upset I run a warm shallow bath and rub their backs while I get all the pukies off. Then I get them into warm jammies and feed them a bowl of applesauce with a probiotic capsule mixed in. (helps every time!)

If it's a fever I give them a half dose of Tylenol and a cup of ice water and lots of snuggles.

If it's a cold I suck all their boogies out with one of those bulb things. They find it very entertaining. Then I run the humidifier and add lavender and eucalyptus to the water.

(can you tell my kids were just sick? ;)

Jen said...

Twittered!

Jen said...

Blogged! http://mamasingstheblues.blogspot.com/2008/12/just-in-time-for-sick-season.html

Jen said...

Blogged!

Jen said...

Subscribed!

My word verification said 'satch' and my brain read 'snatch' and I giggled. I'm getting punchy, time for bed!!

Evenspor said...

I've seen these advertised and thought how nice it would be to have one. The last time Beeper was sick, when I took him t the doctor, I hd to admit that I hd no idea what his temperature was, because he wouldn't let me take it. :p

I comforted him with lots of attention and a favorite toy.

evenspor (at) gmail (dot) com

Allison Jacobs said...

How cool! This thermometer is a much better solution than waking up the baby to take his temperature in 'the uncomfortable place' that no one likes.

I got the unfortunate experience of being at my sister's this weekend when her little one ran a temp of over 100. We kept him cool and close to us until he calmed down. The poor little guy tired himself out crying and finally started to fall asleep when we turned on his musical mobile and laid him in bed. Baby speakers are on the Christmukah list so we can play him music :)

Selfish Mom said...

I lost our good thermometer, and now we're all using one marked "rectal" in permanent ink. Even though it was never used "that way" it still creeps me out.

owner@selfishmom.com

Tech Savvy Mama said...

Nothing beats lots of hugs and snuggling close in bed reading stories to heal the hurt!

Tech Savvy Mama said...

I subscribe to your feed!

Tech Savvy Mama said...

Tweeted it! :)

TheAngelForever said...

Both of my boys have had febrile seizures. The little guy has a low body temperature, so even slight climbs are scary. We cool them off with cool compresses, dress them in little and give them fever reducers. This looks wonderful to take quick and accurate readings on sick kids (or adults). Thanks for the opportunity

TheAngelForever said...

Tweet, Tweet:

http://twitter.com/TheAngelForever/status/1068423894

Mary said...

My kids love it when I sing them songs and rub their backs. And I do too!

Jordan said...

This looks great! My boys hate having their temperature taken. We stay in our pajamas and cuddle on the couch, reading lots of stories when they're sick. It's actually pretty sweet.

Tara @ Feels like home said...

I comfort my daughter by holding her as long and as often as she wants to be held. We watch all the tv she wants, and I sing to her. It makes me feel better and it helps her to get through. :)

Tara @ Feels like home said...

I Tweeted!

@Feelslikehome

Goodies for Mom said...

We cuddle on the sofa and watch cartoons all day.

Goodies for Mom said...

Twitted this (goodiesformom)

Midnight Mama said...

Oh yeah, we seriously need this. We are first-timers and most of the time we have no idea what we're doing! We know when she has a fever, but we usually don't know what her temp. is. Just too afraid to do the rectal thing.

When our little darling (14 months old) isn't feeling well, we crank up the humidifier and elevate one end of her crib mattress.

I'm also pretty good at reflexology, so I give her a nice massage after her bath. She is almost passed out by the time I finish rubbing her feet!

Glad I met you at the eden party! Thanks so much for the great advice.

Rebecca said...

The littlest gets extra nursing sessions and lots of cuddling, the bigger ones get a special trip to the grocery store or pharmacy (if we need a med) for a special treat. If they are too sick to go out, they get to place their "order" with mom or dad. Most frequent requests; Gatorade/pop, ice cream and popsicles. Most unique request; a santa hat. They also get to sleep in mom and dad's bed if they are sick. Now, I just need someone to pamper me, I managed to come down with a case of pneumonia, yuck!
beccaj73[at]hickorytech[dot]net

Liz said...

This would be great! When one of my 4 kiddos is sick, I am basically their nurse, and try to be available for their every beck and call. Whatever pampering they need, they receive! Thanks again!